Saturday, June 1, 2013

Grey's Anatomy Transcript

Transcript of Scenes Involving ETS Surgery

Episode: "Make Me Lose Control"
Author: Krista Vernoff
Medical Advisor: Karen Pike, MD

Pre Op room, Dr. KAREV and three female nurses surround the patient’s bed.
DR. KAREV
Kelly Roche, 23 years old, in for a scheduled ETS for treatment of erythrophobia and hypopyrexia.

FEMALE NURSE 1
(Whispering) Erythrophobia?

FEMALE NURSE 2
(consulting dictionary) Blushing.

FEMALE NURSE 3
Do you have any questions about the procedure?

KELLY
Dr. Sh….(sigh, bright red cheeks) Dr. Sheppard explained everything, he was very (gulp) helpful, he gave me some literatu . . .(fanning cheeks furiously with hand) . . .sorry. . .

DR. KAREV
Don’t be, half the patients that come through here have the hots for Sheppard.


FEMALE NURSE 3
(Glaring at Dr. KAREV) Dr. KAREV!?


DR. KAREV
Whaaat? It’s true.



DR. GREY

Dr. Sheppard?


DR. SHEPPARD

Merideth! I heard. Is it true?


DR. GREY

Yeah, secret’s out. Dr. Sheppard, I . . .


DR. SHEPPARD

You don’t have to call me Dr. Sheppard.


DR. GREY

Dr. Sheppard, I want in on a surgical case. I can’t just do nothing all day. And you owe me this. And I never ask you for anything like this, so . . .


DR. SHEPPARD

I have, uh, ETS this afternoon. Go scrub in.



(Pre Op, Doctor KAREV is feeling Kelly’s neck glands. Dr. Sheppard drops by)



DR. SHEPPARD
Hey Kelly.

KELLY
Dr. Shep . . . (face goes bright red) . . .Dr. Sheppard, (fanning face) God . . . sorry, damn it.

DR. SHEPPARD

Kelly?


KELLY

(feeling cheeks, trying to disappear) Yeah?


DR. SHEPPARD

Kelly?


KELLY

mm hmm


DR. SHEPPARD

This might be the last time that ever happens. (reassuring smile)


DR. KAREV

Paralapse. H & H are stable, chest x-rays show no acute process.


DR. SHEPPARD

Good! (to Kelly) Are you ready to go?


KELLY

Are you kidding? I’ve been ready since the 3rd grade.


DR. SHEPPARD

Did you read the literature I gave you? Do you understand the possible side effects?


KELLY

Compensatory sweating of the back, abdomen, thighs and legs; possible gustatory sweating; Horner’s syndrome occurs in less than one percent of patients; brachial plexus injury, pneumothorax and hemothorax are highly unlikely but possible side effects of the surgery.


DR. SHEPPARD

You did your homework! Take her to pre op. I’ll alert the O.R.


DR. KAREV

Do you know what all those words mean? Brachial plexus injury could cause paralysis of the arms. Pneumothorax is a collapsed lung.


KELLY

I know.


DR. GREY

Are you sure you want to risk all of that over a little bit of blushing?


KELLY

Is that what you think this is? A little bit of blushing? Just a school girl embarrassment? You both saw what happened when Dr. Shep . . .when Dr. Sheppard was here, what did you think?


DR. KAREV

Well, I thought you liked him.


KELLY

I do, but do you think I want a . . .a roomful of doctors to know about it?


DR. KAREV

It’s not like were gonna tell. . .


KELLY

It’s not just you guys. It’s not just this once, it happens . . . every time I have a feeling for anyone in my life . . . (fighting back tears, blushing furiously) . . .I can’t be happy, I can’t feel anything without everybody in the world knowing . . . (sensitive music enters) . . .I can’t have a secret . . .can you imagine living that way your entire life? (C.U. of Dr. Grey empathizing, music lyric “think I’m gonna walk away . . .”)



O.R. Dr. Sheppard is operating on Kelly, surrounded by Dr. Grey, nurses and equipment.
DR. SHEPPARD
O.K. Dr. KAREV, if we’re going to stop her blushing . . .We have to expose the sympathetic ganglion chain, which resides . . . where? (eyes scan equipment).



Recovery Room. Dr. Grey, Dr. KAREV and a nurse are at Kelly’s bedside.
KELLY
(groggy) Hey.

DR. GREY
Hey.

KELLY
Is it over?

DR. GREY
Mm hmmm. The surgery was successful. We’re just doing a follow up. Dr. Sheppard will in to check on you in a while.

KELLY
(Not blushing) Say that again.

DR. KAREV
What?

KELLY
Say his name, Dr. Shep . . . (not blushing) Oh my God, look at my face. (big smile). Dr. Shep. ..Dr. Sheppard (a look of pure worship).

DR. GREY

(to Dr. KAREV) I guess it was worth the risk.


Drs. Grey and KAREV exit to the hallway.


DR. KAREV
I still think it’s a (inaudible) major surgery just so people can’t tell how you’re feelin’.

DR. GREY
Really, you do?

DR. KAREV
Nah, I guess not. You can talk, you know, I mean, if you need to.

DR. GREY
I’m fine.

DR. KAREV
You’ve said that word so many times today it doesn’t even sound like a word anymore. I’m just saying you can talk to me ‘cuz, ya know, even if I repeat every word you say, no one around here likes me, they’ll just call me a liar and move on.

DR. GREY
Izzy likes you.

Dr. Karev turns away and smiles
DR. GREY
You’re blushing!